Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Austin Rattler - Last big race before the big day June 13th!


Austin Rattle was this past weekend and what a fun race! Four laps of 15 miles on a seriously fun course. Going into this i was thinking I would only be able to average 10 mph but I was actually at 11.3. This may sound a bit slow to all of you roadies out there but I am covering a mile every 5 mins on a mountain bike. I am proud of that!! With rocks, dirt, mud, roots, and other obstacles...

Just before the race I get a chance to have my photo with Neil Bremner. The owner of Bike Barn and my boss. It was great getting to see a big group of Bike Barn Riders out to take on this tough course. Several got coins or won a lottery spot into Leadville. I won the lottery earlier this year so my focus was to get my best time to up my spot in the leadville coral. I fortunately finished in 5:28 mins landing me a spot two up from the back. Super cool!
Lap 1 was a blistering pace for me. I was up front but I didn't want to be in the back with other riders who I didn't know were confident on a mountain bike. Main goal is to always finish and to do so safely and without issue. My time for lap one was 1:18. About a 12.8 mph average according to my computer. Remember my goal was 10 so I was happy and hurting. It was about 52 degrees when we started and warmed up to about 78 before the end of the ride. I started with arm warms and next time want do that. Just start a bit cold or get some sun covers.
The race starts with a large climb up to the top of fat chucks followed with flowing single track which drops you out on top of an treeless plain. The wind hits you and the rocks are larger than normal so you really have dig. The night before it rained making the 1st lap a bit wet and sometime slippery on the roots. A few creek crossings would leave your breaks squeaking and you butt a bit wet but not as wet as my many other jaunts and frolics at Rocky Hill.
My husband was there as usual snapping photos and making sure I was getting food and water. I could not do these races without him. Before lap 2 I snagged a bottle and headed out for lap two. I was aware of a group of about 5 other women riding around me and just kind of sizing myself up. I wanted to back my 2nd lap pace down to about 12 mph and did so with a lap finish time of about 1:20. Getting ready to head out to lap three I told Nathanael I just wanted it to be over cause I was surely hurting. Setting my mind I headed out and just did the divide slug up the hill. Sadly during lap 2 my front derailleur spring decided it was time to die. The rest of the race my chain would drag on it no matter what gear I was in. I just had to tune it out and go. I wasn't going to stop. It sounded sort of like a roller coaster chain pulling a coaster up to the big climb. Lap 3 was a slug. I thought my legs would cramp a few times and land me out of the race. I started to chug water and and eat salty gu. My mantra became Aerosmith's Living on the Edge along with the Pink Floyd The Wall and some random Prodigy Song. Anything to stop thinking about the pain. I focused myself to stay on someones wheel no matter what. I found my hero on the course... he must have pulled me a lap and a half and did so without making me feel bad. He even told me to grab his wheel. Lap three ended and I was still in the mix with the five other ladies I had been watching since the start.
Lap 4 started the dog days of the race and my mental game. I heard two of the ladies catching me on fat chucks but wasn't going to let it get me. I let them ride fast up the big climb. I tagged on with two faster men and they pulled me up to the girls. I decided I would sit in the back and eat and drink and not loose the draft. One of the girls blew and pulled out. I thought she would grab my wheel but she was toast. Encouraged and elated I told the guys to let the other girl work and I can get her in the end. I had noticed her single track technique wasn't like mine. I let her rip and she takes it slow. I knew I had her if i could just stay on the train.
I managed to stay in the back and not get hammered and caught her on one of the last two major climbs before the really fun single track. In addition to her I nipped off two more ladies struggling on the last section of single track. The last two miles of the course is my favorite, the wall, the bridges, and the awesome downhill bomber section.
I never looked back I just put the pedal to the medal and went! I finished in 5:28 and was super happy! Glad to be done. I grabbed a coke, banana, orange, and some hot fries and proceeded to eat and eat. The day was fun!
My Hero and my helper! Thanks for the Draft!
Fellow bike barn finishers! Glad to be done!
Thank you Nathanael and Great Job Kevin!

No comments:

Post a Comment