Monday, September 9, 2013

Morning Coffee and Thoughts about the Divide

Getting ready to head out onto a long training ride. While sitting here sipping my coffee I thought, "My friends need to know more about Ride the Divide"

So here is the Skinny:
The Route:  The route is over 2700 miles from Banff, Canada to the Mexican border near Antelope Wells, New Mexico.   Unlike other pro races you watch on TV, the race is self-supported.  There is no feed zone, there are no helpers on the course handing you fresh water, and there is no such thing as SAG (support and gear). You have to continue forward with your on will and your own ability that all other racers have access too.  I can stay at a friends house or have family and friends meet me on the course or will risk disqualification.

Map of GDMBRThe route crosses mountain passes, amounting to a climbing vertical of over 200,000 feet – that’s 7 Everests! I will get to ride in the snow, the sand, the red clay, the rock scree, the dirt roads, the pavement and even a few miles of single track. While being cold, hot, and more than likely a lot of wet.  I get to sleep with the bears and mountain lions - If I fall asleep.

All of these obstacles will be easy compared to the mind games that may start to play in my head after riding day after day of 16 hours in the saddle. However, for those of you that know me. I am good at being alone for hours on end with the voices in my head... :)

Here is a link to the rules of riding the divide:

http://tourdivide.org/the_rules

In my morning reverie I have begun to think I should probably sign up for a race before the big one. A practice run. Flush out all the things I am not thinking about. After my ride today I will start to consider an endurance event to take on before the big one.

No comments:

Post a Comment