Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Preparing for an adventure the size of Ride the Divide

Good Afternoon Everyone!!!

If you work and have a passion it is hard sometimes to make them all fit together. Yesterday was my Saturday. Most people have a normal Saturday but there is a large part of the work world who have odd days off. Typically, I am off Monday and Tuesday which is excellent for training cause when you hit the trails to ride there is no one about! Just you and your training partner!

So,  for my Saturday I didn't get to nuzzle my warm bed and relax half the day. It's up early to load the truck, pack the food, prepare your bike, and hit the road. Scootie and I are starting to settle into a weekly routine. Monday's are for long mountain bike rides and Tuesday are for long road rides. The rest of the week I work so I have to get up early before work and get a few hours of riding in every morning I possibly can.

Yesterday we traveled to Lake Bryan Trails. It's fantastic. The Map of the Ride. We did 20.4 miles and spent about 3 hours in the saddle. There is a section called the octopus trail. My nemesis. It has been every since I started to ride this route. I have successfully cleared the run zero times!!! I have to always unclip and put my foot down at least three times. Yesterday I cleared more than normal and then got yanked off my bike. Unfortunately, my right pinky was sticking a little over the bars and caught a small tree. Today it is jamed and feels a bit tender. Nothing major but a reminder to me that my goal during training is to not get injured for the big ride.

Last time I mentioned I would need to pick some training events to start preparing myself mentally for the big day.

Here are two events that Scottie and I are going to be considering:
24 Hours of Rocky Hill 2013
A 24 hour mountain bike relay race on approximately 10-mile course. Teams try to log as many laps as possible, with only 1 member riding at a time. The team with the most laps in the 24 hour time period wins.
Saturday October 19th, 2013 @ 12:00pm

Reveille Peak 100 2013
Join us for the Reveille Peak 100!This is100K Mountain Bike Race at the scenic Reveille Peak Ranch. Come out and test your grit and help raise money for the Texas High School Mountain Bike League! The course will be (4) 25k loops around the 1300+ acre ranch. You will be on jeep road & single track.
Saturday November 23rd, 2013 @ 7:15am

Take a look at these events

Scottie and I will be hitting the pavement today around 3:00 for at least 2:30 - 3:00 hours of riding. SO, I am off to do the chores and pay the bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment